Top 10 Tips on Travelling to India

I recently went on a school trip to India where we visited a homeopathy school in Mumbai called The Other Song. We also had the opportunity to spend a week sightseeing all over India. We went to New Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and Goa. It was one of the most amazing experiences I have had thus far!

Overall, the trip was everything I expected and more. I learned a great deal of information and was able to truly experience the Indian culture. The people were really friendly, the food was incredibly delicious and most of all I learned that India will always be a part of me.

Before going to India we did quite a bit of planning and researching. I had read a lot of blogs and websites in order to prepare myself for the trip. After experiencing India myself, here are some tips for people travelling to India for the first time.


10 TIPS ON TRAVELLING TO INDIA

1. Pack a light bag, and buy clothes there!

I didn't pack very many clothes. I ended up buying Kurti tops while I was there. I blended in more and felt very comfortable. Dressing more conservatively was key to fitting in! Make sure to bring pants, a couple of t-shirts, two pairs of shoes and two shawls.

2. Make sure to bargain!
We were told that if the shop owners know you are not a local they will double or triple the price. Counter with less than 60% of the price and then work your way up to the amount you are willing to pay. Usually simply starting to leave the shop will entice the owner to lower the prices to make sure you don't leave empty handed.

3. Check your water bottles
Make sure that the water bottle seal is closed and there have been no signs of tampering. We were told that sometimes water bottles are resealed with tap water and resold.

4. Bring ear plugs!
It can get really loud outside. Having my ear plugs ensured I was able to get a good night's sleep!

5. Carry toilet paper everywhere you go
Most of the public bathrooms did not have toilet paper so we made sure to carry our own.

6. Stay hydrated
I brought an electrolyte powder and drank one packet each day. It was great because it kept me hydrated and I got my daily dose of vitamins as well! If I didn't have my electrolyte powder I had fresh coconut water on the streets of India for 40 rupees (~$0.80 CDN) :)

7. Delhi Belly is for real
Yup, traveller's diarrhea can happen. But there are a few things you can do to prevent it from happening to you. Make sure not to eat any raw vegetables or fruits without skin. I stuck to bananas, papaya, pineapple and mangos. Try and eat cooked food for every meal.

8. Set up a hotel pick up
Most hotels offer a hotel pick up from the airport. When booking your hotel, make sure to indicate your flight number and arrival time. Also, make sure to determine if the shuttle is complimentary or not. Usually there will be someone from the hotel holding a sign with your name at the airport to pick you up. We also got our hotel to call the next hotel we were going to to ensure someone was coming to pick us up.

9. Bring your supplements! 
I brought quite a few supplements with me to India. Some of the key supplements I would recommend to bring are a traveller's probiotic (one that you do not have to refrigerate), Vitamin B, Vitamin C and grapefruit seed extract. The grapefruit seed extract was great to use when I felt kind of bad after eating food I was not used to. But I also used it to clean my water bottle and toothbrush on occasion since it is a natural antiseptic.

10. Last but not least - GO WITH THE FLOW!
India can be very chaotic and there were times where nothing went exactly as planned. There were delays, miscommunication and sometimes no rules. Be patient, take one thing at a time and go with the flow. Find ways to deal with situations but never let anyone take advantage of you. Keep in mind there are times where you may need to stand up for yourself and be assertive. Overall, have fun and don't take anything personal.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.