DIY Natural Liquid Hand Soap

UPDATE: Check out my newest creation DIY NATURAL FOAM SOAP at my new blog! There is a short video as well showing the steps! http://saminamitha.com/2016/12/08/diy-natural-foam-soap/

Aloe Vera Lavender Liquid Soap with Vitamin E


During the winter I get extremely dry hands from using various kinds of liquid hand soap (especially from Bath and Body Works). So I decided to look for a natural approach to washing my hands. I found an amazing hand soap called “Nature Clean” liquid soap. It is very gentle and moisturizing on your hands. It is 100% natural as it is made out of plants and minerals. Using the soap for a couple of days cleared my dry skin. The only problem with the soap is that is $5.99 and we end up using one bottle in less than a few weeks. So I decided to search for a liquid soap recipe that I could make on my own. Sure enough, I found exactly what I was looking for at Holistic Handmaking! I decided to cut the recipe into half just to try it out and it worked wonders. This is gonna save me tonnes of money and eliminate the amount of plastic soap containers I throw away each month. Check out the steps below!

Materials
1 Bar of Soap
1 Gallon of Filtered/Distilled Water
2 Tbsp of Vegetable Glycerin
1 Jar or Soap Pump
4-5 Drops of Lavender (Optional)


Step 1: Shred a bar of soap.
I love the brand Soap Works so I ended up using the Aloe Vera with Vitamin E bar. You can get this soap at Bulk Barn and many health food stores. You can use any soap you like but a castile or vegetable based soap is the best to use as it is safe and gentle.


Step 2: In a large pot, add 1 Gallon of filtered/distilled water. You can pick this up at any grocery store.

Step 3: Add the grated soap to the pot.

Step 4:  Add two tablespoons of vegetable glycerin to the pot and stir thoroughly. You can buy vegetable glycerin at any health food store. 

Step 5: Warm the mixture over medium to high heat until all the soap dissolves. Make sure NOT to boil the water. Add a few drops of essential oil. I used lavender but any essential oil will work.

Step 6: Let the mixture cool.
Once the soap has dissolved, remove the pot from the heat and allow it to cool over night (or about 12 hours).

Step 7: Voila!
After about 12 hours check if the soap is ready by placing a spoon on the top of the mixture. If the spoon falls to the bottom quickly the soap isn’t done yet. If the spoon falls slowly or not at all the soap is ready. Thoroughly mix the soap and store it in a container.


NOTE: If the mixture is too clumpy try adding increments of ½ cup of water and use a hand mixture until you get a desired consistency. I end up adding about ½ cup as my mixture was a little too solid.

Step 8: Soap Dispenser
I decided to use a mason jar as my soap dispenser. I got my bf to drill a small hole in the lid to make room for an old soap container pump.





Sources



 

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.