5 Natural Ways to Fight/Prevent a Cold

This year has started off as a very cold winter season! So I decided I would share some of the things I use to fight off colds and coughs. There are many different ways in which you can fight off a cold but there are a few key tools you can keep in your medicine cabinet that are really powerful and can help! One thing to consider is the importance of taking something as soon as you first start to feel a cold coming on. This will help boost the immune system and prevent the cold from progressing. Here a list of things I will use when I start to feel a cold coming on…

1. Echinacea or Oil of Oregano
Echinacea is a very good immune booster. It is great to use when you first start feeling a cold coming on. You know you have some good quality echinacea when it tingles your tongue! Oil of oregano is another favourite of mine. It works as a powerful anti-microbial to fight off viruses and bacteria and works well when cold symptoms first appear. As a fair warning, it is very potent and can be difficult to take alone! I usually will put a couple of drops into some juice to help it go down easier. Both oils can be purchased at a health food store or the grocery store. 

2. Homemade Cold and Cough fighting tea
Ever since I discovered this tea, it has been my go to whenever I get sick. It soothes the throat and helps to relieve congestion. This tea will warm you up and provide lasting relief. I tend to drink multiple cups a day along with lots of water when I am sick to stay hydrated.

Mix 2 tablespoons of honey, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and a dash of ground cinnamon. Mix, drink and feel better!



3. Nin Jiom Cough syrup 
This cough syrup was recommended to me when my significant other had a terrible cough. It tastes fairly good as the base is honey. It helps decrease coughing, soothes a sore throat and is made with all natural ingredients. This cough syrup I bought at a health food store but I've also seen it in shops in China town. 

4. ColdPro by CanPrev
This supplement is something I also tend to use when I start to feel sick. It is a great supplement for strengthening your immune system. It has some powerful herbs to help maintain the immune system such as Astragalus, American Ginseng and Zinc.

5. Eucalyptus Oil
I absolutely love eucalyptus oil. I usually get very stuffed up when I get a cold so I will put a few drops in boiling water and use it as a steam inhalation. Cover your head with a towel and breath in the steam. Make sure to only use a few drops, as it can be hard to inhale if there is too much oil. It helps to relieve congestion in the head and the chest. I love using eucalyptus oil on my chest instead of Vicks Vapor rub, as Vicks contains petroleum. You can find this in the pharmacy aisle within the grocery store. 

So there you have it, these 5 tips are simple and do not cost very much. Next time you feel a cold coming on remember to take something right away! My classmate has also created a blog post on natural ways to fight a cold. She has some great tips on different teas to buy and how a warming sock treatment can really help. Check it out here. 





This entry was posted on Monday, January 27, 2014 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.