Coconut Flour Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins


Since trying the Paleo Diet, I have been looking for alternative ways to have something sweet. I’ve been experimenting with coconut flour and I have to say it’s my new favourite thing! Coconut flour is definitely a delicious alternative to wheat and has many health benefits.

Health Facts on Coconut Flour
*   High in dietary fiber and protein
*  Gluten Free and Hypoallergenic
*   Contains lauric acid - helping the immune system fight off fungus, bacteria, and viruses
*   Contains manganese – essential to protect the thyroid gland
*   Easy to digest

My very good friend Kiran made me lemon poppy seed muffins while I was living with her in NYC and I was craving them again so I thought I would share this recipe I found on Pinterest using coconut flour! They turned out really delicious and moist. Everyone enjoyed themJ

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp baking soda
3 eggs
¼ cup honey
¼ cup oil
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp poppy seeds

1. In a small bowl combine dry ingredients, coconut flour, salt and baking soda.
2. In a large bowl, blend together eggs, honey, oil and lemon zest with hand mixer.
3. Blend dry ingredients into wet ingredients with hand mixer.
4. Fold in poppy seeds with spoon.
5. Spoon in 3 tablespoons into each muffin liner. (My batter made about 8 cupcakes)
6. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Cool and Serve!



Sources:
http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.au/article/cooking_with_coconut_flour
http://www.whatkatiesbaking.com/2012/01/06/lemon-poppy-seed-muffins-made-with-coconut-flour-gluten-free/

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.