Cha Cha Cha Chia!

I absolutely love breakfast. It is my favourite meal of the day! With going back to school I had to find a quick and easy breakfast. For Christmas I was very lucky to receive a Magic Bullet from Tom and I knew that it would be exactly what I need in the mornings to make some smoothies!

Many people lately have been talking about chia seeds so I thought I would try them out in my smoothies. They are the MOST concentrated food source of omega-3 fatty acids. Chia seeds have more omega-3 fatty acids than salmon (ounce for ounce)!

Chia seeds are known to be "super" as they are loaded with lots of nutrients with minimal amount of calories. Some nutrients include:

  • Fiber 
  • Calcium (2X more than milk)
  • Antioxidants (3X more than blueberries)
  • Iron (3X more than spinach)
  • Potassium (2X more than bananas)
  • Protein 
Health benefits include:

  • increases energy levels 
  • helps keep you fuller longer 
  • normalizes blood sugar
  • gets rid of toxins 
  • promotes hydration
  • helps to lower blood pressure
  • lowers cholesterol 
  • improves overall health

So try out chia seeds and let me know what you think.
You can also add chia to yogurt, make a pudding or add them to your granola!

Here is one of my favourite recipes:


1 Banana
Handful Blueberries
6-7 Strawberries
5 tbsp Almond Milk
2 tbsp Ground Flax Seeds (make sure to buy flax seeds and grind them yourself in a food processor, blender, or coffee grinder, as store bought ground flax may not contain the beneficial essential oils)
1 tsp Chia Seeds
1 tbsp Growing Naturals Rice Protein Vanilla
1/2 tsp ginger 
4 Ice Cubes




Sources:
http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lindsey-duncan-nd-cn/chia-ancient-super-secret
http://www.thegardenbasket.ca/nourishing-news/the-amazing-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds/


This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.